This sandwich is perfect for when I am rushing to a 9:30 class and have to swim afterwards. It keeps hunger away and I feel I had a good breakfast! Plus, I can easily make another one for my Fiancee, wrap it in foil and leave it for him to eat in the morning! This sandwich definitely beats anything I can get through a drive-thru and offers two servings of whole grains and a good dose of Vitamin A and Calcium!
- 2 slices of whole grain bread – (toasted optional)
- Did you know 1 slice of whole grain bread is equivalent to a 1 ounce serving from the Grains group?
- 1/2 cup of baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon of milk, non-fat
- 1 egg, large
- 1 ounce of mushrooms, sliced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 ounce pepper jack, sliced
- Smidgen of butter (measured is 1/8 teaspoon)
Meanwhile place cheese on one slice of bread and lay spinach on other slice. When egg is done, place (using a clean fork) on top of spinach. Top with cheese and other slice of bread. Lightly press together.
Let rest for about a minute before taking that first juicy bite or wrap in foil and take it with you!